Military Housing and Moves


There are special housing benefit provisions for spouses and children of service members who die while serving. Eligible Family members living on base may continue to reside in base quarters for up to 365 days after the service member’s death.

Eligible Family members who do not live in government housing receive a housing allowance for up to 365 days after the service member's death.

Visit My Army Benefits or contact a survivor outreach coordinator for more information.


Surviving spouses must decide when and where to move. Different factors such as family support, student status or employment may affect that decision.

Spouses may relocate once at government expense. Eligible spouses must initiate the move by turning in household goods to the transportation office within one year after a loved one’s death. If a spouse is not ready to use the home of selection entitlement at one year, they may request an extension from the transportation office.

Extensions may be granted for up to six years. However, requests for extensions must be made yearly. Contact a survivor outreach coordinator or the transportation office at the installation nearest to you. Visit  Military Installations  and search for Household Goods to find a transportation office.

Visit Military One Source: The Final Move for more information.